LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, usa
Style: Rocky Mountain chic
Scene: mid-western alpine town
Seen in the lobby: jet set ski set (from Hollywood's A-list and New York high fliers to Texan billionaires).
Aspen is where the planet's stars come to play.
And the luxurious Little Nell - Aspen's only Five-Star, Five Diamond hotel - a stroll away from Aspen Mountain's Silver Queen Gondola and close to all of the Colorado tinsel town's designer shops and restaurants - is where they like to stay. It's been that way for 20 years.
So I've turned up early for breakfast hopeful. The evening before I'd heard actor turned politician Arnold Schwarzenegger had been seen on the slopes. Hollywood bad boy Charlie Sheen had also briefly appeared the day before in the local courthouse to plead not guilty to new assault charges, but I'd been too distracted on the famous mountains - not wanting to waste the perfect spring skiing conditions.
Celebrity sightings, however, raise little more than an eyebrow with the locals. One of the main reasons the famous probably like coming here.
I quickly lose interest too, distracted (again), this time by the plate of eggs benedict - two perfectly poached eggs served on toasted brioche with tender tasty strips of maple-glazed bacon belly and hollandaise sauce. The bacon literally dissolves in my mouth with each bite.
I see now why America's most discerning palates also like to stay here, I think as I contentedly pat my stomach and sit back to gaze over the courtyard and the in-ground heated pool to the looming Ajax mountain beyond. New for the 2012/2013 ski season is Elements 47 restaurant so gourmands will have even more reasons to come here. Paying homage to silver, the precious metal that initially put Aspen on the map,The Little Nell's latest restaurant (opening November 30) revives soulful American cuisine with Executive Chef Robert McCormick's distinctive flair.
When it comes to home-style comforts, the Little Nell's accommodations don't slouch on the finer touches either. You won't find airline economy-sized bottles of alcohol in the mini-bar here.
But keeping up with the demands of an ageless world there has been some recent cosmetic enhancements. More than a nip and tuck though, it's a totally new (US$18 million) image for this Aspen A-lister.
Aspen is where the planet's stars come to play...and the luxurious Little Nell is Aspen's only Five-Star, Five Diamond hotel.
Throughout the 92 guestrooms and suites the elegance of a French country inn has been replaced with custom furniture and fabrics designed to infuse the Rocky Mountain setting in its modern makeover. Gone are the floral fabrics, heavy patterned drapes and dated wallpaper in favour of a more neutral, yet warm and luxurious tones. Bringing the décor into the 21st century are the specially commissioned modern artworks and photographs, flat screen high-definition LCD TVs, ipod docks, plush down-filled sofas and smart leather arm chairs to sink into after a day on the slopes, while goose-down pillows and luxurious Fila d'Oro down comforters ensure those all important beauty zzzs.
The departure has apparently ruffled some feathers - mainly from the hotel's oldest, most loyal fans traditionally resistant to change. But overall it's been given the thumbs up, especially by a growing generation of younger, affluent wanna-be Aspenites who think Chicago designer Holly Hunt's Aspen-inspired design more 'earthier' and more reflective of a contemporary home - be it in LA or New York. I'm with them.
The changes are also much more environmentally PC - not just in the choice of paints on the walls and the wool carpeting in the rooms and corridors but its improved energy efficiency - with longer lasting LED lighting and with motion sensors turning off the lights, fireplace and adjusting the room temperature by three degrees after you step out. In fact, everything from lights to entertainment and guest services can now be controlled from one remote via the state of the art Control4 central wireless system - the first of its kind in Aspen. The downside to progress perhaps is that it now takes 15 minutes instead of five to get your head around all the gadgetry - taking away precious ski, spa and shopping time!
|Check in: The Little Nell, 675 East Durant Ave, Aspen Co 81611. Tel: + 970 920 4600.
Ultimate Luxury: The spacious Pfeifer Suite with two bedrooms and one and half bathrooms can be converted to a three or four bedroom suite with private entry to all rooms. Luxury amenities include slope-side balconies, fireplaces, full service wet bar, 42-inch flat screen HD TVs, Bose sound systems and personal computer system.
Most Indulgent Moment:
There are 40,000 bottles of wine in the cellar and soon you'll be able to view (and order from) the entire wine list by remote control.
From May former US Olympic ski racer turned champion fisherman Andy Mill will guide Little Nell's guests on exclusive day and multi-day Fly Fishing Adventures through some of the best trout-filled lakes, rivers and streams in the picturesque Roaring Fork Valley.
Pets are treated like people with special doggie treats, their own cosy beds and even a puppy jet lag kit to help acclimatize your best friend to the altitude! Didn't bring four-legged company - then simply rent a dog for the day!
The Little Things:
Little Nell's ski concierge will warm your boots, help with ski and snowboard storage and tune-ups - even the morning news.
Colouring books at the dinner table, meals served on playful child-friendly crockery. The concierge can also help with babysitting arrangements. PlayStation games and movies can be set up in your room - just ask at the front desk.
Designer furs and threads from Bogner, Chanel, and anything from J Crew to Pucci will be right at home here.
|Dent in the platinum:
|Luxury Hotels Link: www.thelittlenell.com
Debbie Neilson-Hunter 8/4/10. Updated 7/11/12
- LUXURY HOTELS: Lewtrenchard Manor, Devon, England
- LUXURY HOTEL: La Reserve Hotel & Spa, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Chedi Andermatt,Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Miami Beach EDITION, Miami USA
- LUXURY HOTELS Mondrian London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS The Beaumont Mayfair, London
- LUXURY HOTELS Sunrise Kempinski Hotel Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Meurice, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Raffles Istanbul
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Bosphorus, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS : Peninsula Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel's Art Rooms
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hong Kong
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula Bangkok
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Goring, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont's Canine Ambassadors
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Kempinski St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Culloden Estate and Spa, Northern Ireland
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Howard Hastings
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Nikol'skaya, Moscow
- LUXURY HOTELS: Love Stories
- LUXURY HOTELS: American Trade Hotel and Hall, Panama City, Panama
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood London, High Holborn, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham London, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Cipriani, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Le Hotel Monceau - Raffles Paris
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Jeremy Goring
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Indigo, Hong Kong, China
- MY FAVOURITE ROOM... Petter A. Stordalen
- LUXURY HOTELS: Nobu Hotel at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Langham, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The State Hermitage Hotel, St Petersburg, Russia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Andaz Fifth Ave, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: El Encanto, Santa Barbara, USA
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Warwick New York Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- LUXURY HOTELS: Kerry Hotels, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa d'Este, Como Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel
- LUXURY HOTELS: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker Hotel, New York, US
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Greenbrier, West Virginia, USA
- LUXURY TRAINS: The Royal Scotsman
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sydney QT, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Como Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY TRAVEL: Hotels as Movie Stars
- LUXURY HOTELS: 'Four Stories' at W HOTELS
- LUXURY HOTELS: Dorset Square Hotel, London, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Valley Wing at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Plaza, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, California, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa La Massa, Candeli, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Sorrento, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Centurion Palace, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Punta Tragara Hotel, Capri, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Suite, Relais Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Margherita, Bernalda, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, London
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hesperia Isla de La Toja, Galicia, North West Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental Hotel, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- LUXURY HOTELS: Armani Hotel Milano, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Darling, Sydney, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Celebrity Hotel Reviews
- LUXURY HOTELS: Travel Bible TV
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hilton Queenstown, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Peninsula Shanghai, China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai China
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Bristol, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Babington House, Somerset, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Royal Livingstone Hotel, Victoria Falls, Zambia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Istanbul EDITION, Istanbul, Turkey
- LUXURY HOTELS: The iPad2 checks-in
- LUXURY HOTELS: Royal Wedding Packages
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Missoni Kuwait
- LUXURY HOTELS: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, Budapest, Hungary
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alila Bangalore Hotel & Residence, Bangalore, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: W London-Leicester Square
- LUXURY HOTELS: Coworth Park, Ascot, England
- LUXURY HOTELS: Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rimrock Resort Hotel, Banff, Canada
- LUXURY HOTELS: Post Hotel & Spa, Lake Louise, CANADA
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: The Savoy
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Coworth Park
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Cullen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTEL: Luna Hotel Baglioni, Venice, ITALY
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Blackman, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Olsen, Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Rees, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, New Zealand
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
- JUST UNPACKED FROM... Melbourne, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS PREVIEW: Metropole Taormina
- LUXURY HOTELS: Maison Moschino Hotel, Milan, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanderson, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Little Nell, Aspen, Colorado, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Le Notre Dame, Paris
- LUXURY HOTELS: Crosby Street, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz, London
- LUXURY HOTEL: Chapslee House, Lakkar Bazaar, Shimla, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Glenburn Tea Estate, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: Murano Urban Resort, Paris, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzina Grassi, Venice, Italy
- LUXURY HOTELS: Palazzo Versace, Australia
- LUXURY HOTELS: Rosewood Beijing
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Belmond Charleston Place
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Ritz at Christmas
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Lanesborough, London, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sanctum Resort, Myanmar
- LUXURY HOTELS: Historic Hotels
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Knickerbocker, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: Luciano K Hotel, Santiago, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Casa Higueras, Valparaiso, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Awasi Patagonia, Patagonia, Chile
- LUXURY HOTELS: Tierra Atacama, Chile
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy Suite, An Artist'sResidence
- SUITE LIFE: The Savoy's Royal Suite
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Savoy, London
- Christmas at Peninsula Paris
- LUXURY HOTEL: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Italy
- LUXURY HOTEL: RITZ-CARLTON TOKYO JAPAN
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sage Hotel, James Street
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Silo Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Watergate Hotel, Washington D.C.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Moxy Times Square, New York
- LUXURY HOTEL: The Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois, Basel, Switzerland
- LUXURY HOTELS: Villa Maia, Lyon, France
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Social Season at The Ritz
- LUXURY HOTEL: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- LUXURY HOTELS: Capella, Singapore
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Narutis, Vilnius
- LUXURY HOTELS: Penthouse Suite, The Mark, New York
- LUXURY HOTELS: World's Best B&B
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Art of Hotel Suites
- LUXURY HOTELS: Sofitel Darling Harbour, Sydney
- LUXURY HOTELS: East Hotel, Canberra
- LUXURY HOTEL: Juliet's House, Verona
- LUXURY HOTELS: Alàbriga Hotel & Home Suites, Spain
- LUXURY HOTELS: Pennyhill Park & Spa, Surrey, UK
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Park, New Delhi, India
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Peninsula, New York, USA
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Surrey, New York, USA